I had no idea what to title this post as there are four makes here all bundled together. I had to treat them evenly to avoid any jealous feelings. With two tops and two shorts, I’ve got four new outfits. First up is the Deer & Doe Datura blouse paired with the Grainline Maritime shorts.
In January I went through a “must get rid of all my fabric from Africa” phase. These fabrics were purchased from Woodin in Ghana in the summer of 2012, and as much as I like collecting things, by January 2014 I was thoroughly tired of African cottons. I wanted to sew with my new silks, pontes, and jerseys, but felt I couldn’t start those without first using up all these cottons.
Do chalk out our stitching lines, because I found them necessary for stitching the zig zags on the top. Sometimes guessing is good, but this is not one of those cases. Draw them so you can pivot correctly.
The iffy part of the instructions was the yoke. It took me forever to figure them out, and when I did it was because of fiddling. I’m still not sure I did them correctly according to the instructions, but it turned out fine according to my intuition.
I don’t know why but my pocket and pocket lining weren’t fitting together correctly. I sewed them with a 1/2” SA but still have the top part over hanging. Not a big deal as it didn’t affect anything, but it was confusing since I couldn’t match it to the diagram in the instructions.
I’m glad I muslined this (twice actually) so I could practice the front fly zipper. Completely new territory for me, and I’m glad I was able to make two practice pairs before attempting the real thing.
I had to squeeze these out of 1 yard of fabric. Squeeze I did! I’ve actually made this shorts once before but I wanted to remake them with my improved sewing skills. This pattern is a bit impractical because there are no pockets. Not on the side, not on the back, not in the front, not anywhere! But that is easily remedied.
Hello welt pocket scrap! I used the Oliver + S welt pocket tutorial to create a sample pocket to add to my shorts. However, this fabric was too thick and a bad choice.
I then used scraps from my Colette Cooper bag to make a pocket sample.
I basically made the pocket longer and pressed it upward instead of downward and used the waistband to camouflage the top. There are some more photos on this PatternReview thread I started here. Lladybird’s Thurlow sewalong also had a nice explanation for welt pockets here. So in the end I combined both Oliver + S and Lladybird’s tutorials to create my perfect welt pocket.
The top is actually dress #120 from the Burdastyle Autumn/Winter 2013 Classics issue. I didn’t have very much of my print fabric left, but I was determined to squeeze a top out of it, and when I saw this dress I knew I could modify it to make a top.
Also I decided I do not like it when I join bias tapes together with a vertical seam. I find it is bulky and doesn’t look very nice. I used this tutorial which explains how to join them diagonally. Both techniques work but I prefer the second one, even if it is fussier.
In conclusion, this is a mix and match set using the Deer and Doe Datura blouse, a dress turned top from BurdaStyle Classics Autumn/Winter 2012 #120, a pair of blue shorts using the Grainline Maritime pattern, and a pair of pink shorts with welt pockets by Lisette 1879 Souvenir. Whew! And with that, I’ve destashed 9ish yards (including muslins) of fabric from Africa. The stash busting continues…